Start Out Simply
- Download and install straight from the Mac App Store.
- No up-front purchase, no in-app purchase, no subscription, no advertising, no registration, no interest in your personal data.
- Create a New Collection of Notes in iCloud and give it a name.
- Enter as many Notes as you would like.
- Use Tags to group your Notes by topic.
- Add an optional Link to a Note to provide a reference to a location on the Web.
Expand a Bit
- Create multiple Collections for different types of Notes, or Notes about different sorts of things.
- Vary the fields used for different sorts of Collections, choosing additional fields from the standard set: for example, add a Date, a Status and a Recurs rule for a “To Do” list.
- Use Markdown to format the body of each Note.
- Use a preferred text editor as an alternate means of editing a Note.
- Use different sort sequences for each Collection.
- Store your Collections wherever you would like.
Explore Advanced Options
- Use wiki-style inter-note links to create a personal knowledge repository (zettelkasten-style).
- Add additional custom fields, giving them whatever names you like.
- Use the Notenik Scripting module to sort and filter Notes to make different sorts of lists.
- Use the Notenik Templating module to create Web pages and sites from your Notes, or any other sort of text output you might find useful.
For Further Info
- See the Introduction available from the Help menu after downloading and launching the app.
- Consult the User Guide to expand your knowledge: either on the website, or by selecting this option from the Help menu within the app.
- Browse the list of Articles available on the website to further explore particular topics of interest.
- See the Scripting Spec and the Template Spec for complete reference info on these two topics.
Questions? Comments? Improvement suggestions? Feel free to drop me a line.